There are nine original 27 slave cabins still on the property. An exact date of construction is not know but it is estimated that they were built between 1790 and 1810. All nine cabins are built of brick. Like the brick for the smokehouse, the brick was probably made on site. It is not very common to find slave houses made of brick. The majority of them were made of wood.
The cabins sit in a row along the Avenue of Oaks. They are the first structures a visitor would see upon entering the plantation. Some suggest that this was a way for the owner of the plantation to show off his wealth. It is believed that the brick cabins at Boone Hall were reserved for the skilled slaves such as the cook, house slaves, carpenter, blacksmith, etc. The field hands probably had houses closer to the fields. There was probably more than one family living in each cabin.
Each cabin has a central chimney with four windows on the facade and one on the side facing the Avenue. The floors have been replaced along with the doors and window shutters. The facades of the cabins have been repointed because they were bowing out. The cabins also have new roofs due to Hurricane Hugo (1989). The original roofs were probably clay tiles made on site. At one point they were replaced with wooden shingles. After the hurricane the roofs were replaced with tiles that were probably similar to the original tiles .Like the smokehouse, two of the cabins have a diamond-shaped pattern on the rear of the structure.
The cabins were lived in until the 1940s. Today, the cabins house exhibits that depict the lives of slaves.
The current house on the property was built by Thomas Stone in 1936. The house that was there was torn down. From pictures the previous house appeared to be a typical plantation house - symmetrical with big porches. The new house was built in the Colonial revival style. Thomas Stone kept a diary in which he recorded some information about the construction of his house.
Thomas Stone used brick that was left on the plantation in the construction of his house. The house is three stories with a full basement and measures about 10,000 square feet. Unlike original plantation houses the new house has a full-sized kitchen in the house along with seven bathrooms. The first floors houses the kitchen, library, dining room, loggia, and game room. The second floor has seven bedrooms, and the third floor has two rooms, a bathroom, and a full-sized attic.
During the early twentieth century many South Carolina plantations were purchased as farming ventures, hunting clubs, and private vacation retreats. An important trend was the replacement of existing dwellings with new residences considered appropriate for the historic site. Most of the new homes were designed by professional architects, often in the Georgian, Greek, or Colonial revival styles.
1681 – Earliest known date of existence
On September 7, Theophilus Patey was granted 470 acres on Wampacheeoone Creek (Boone Hall Creek). It is not known if he did anything with the land.